Saturday, June 10, 2006

Reading Between The Lines & Giving Opinions That Count


Well, so we hope so. While I might not blog a great deal of time, I do read a great many blogs many times. I think blogs are important as they give our feelings and what we think about, and why. And the responses we get from blogs gives us value and consideration, and things to think on and explore. Things that might change our mind or at least give us consideration to understand the person more that wrote a response to our blog!

And this is a pet peeve that I have found in blogs. While the names are there in response of the readers, with many blogs you cannot click on the names to find out more on the readers and why they responded on the subject at hand. Just the name, but no link or allowed history of why they wrote their opinion of why they disagree or agree. When I search for things and find things that I am interested in, I want to know more, of why and wherefore, therefore, and what more is there to the reader responding that I am missing? I love reading blogs to further my expansion of what I think and why do others think different. And reading blog responses is where I many times sit back in great thought and think "Well, that is another way to look at it, or I disagree, or I agree, (and question myself why) or I need to look into this more of why they came up with their opinion."

Considering my PET PEEVE is that if I cannot click the links of response to a blog by a reader, but can only read the bloggers thoughts and opinions without sharing the readers opinion than not only am I missing something possibly important, but the responders to the blogs are missing something I think that are trying to tell the other readers of their formed opinion, and of why.

It really IRKS me when I can only click onto the blogger author and their link comes up, but am not allowed to click to the reader who responded to their blog, as no link is available. What am I missing? And why? Thankfully there has been times where I can at least google to find out more information if a full name is given, and if I am truly interested, and hopefully I hope it is worth the time! Yet, honestly, I hate to do that, as it takes time and much effort, and a given link would be so much easier. With blogs like this, I have to sit back in my chair with a frown on my face and have to concentrate of why would this be a part of blogging? I really do not understand! WHY?

Something to think about in many ways. If any of my readers respond to my comments, I have it set up that they will be linked so that others can see why they felt a certain way, and have the opportunity for others to know more about them with the click of their name. It really does not matter in my opinion if they agree or disagree with what is written, but will give other readers the opportunity to form opinions of knowing them better of why they made sincere thought out statements. Hopefully, this makes bloggers and readers of us all in hopes of to blog, to express and for us all to respond and have the opportunity to understand of what is written before us, by all of us.


All opinions on this are welcome. I do not ban any from this blog, and all I ask is that responses are subject at hand, respectful and not vulgar.

Katie

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, glad to see you posting. I've been flitting through your blog looking for something new.

    I have to agree with you about wanting to know more about people who post comments. Unfortunately, unless you have a link you can put in as a signature, not all blogs can link outside of their own program (or whatever it's called).

    Here in Blogger, because I also have an account here, my name link is active and can be clicked on, but anyone not a member of Blogger must post as "other" or "Anonymous" and those don't make links.

    It would be nice if all blog hosts could cross link, but there are still those wonderful folks out there who just read and don't write blogs (but they do comment, which is welcome).

    There are some sites that require you to become a member before you can post, but that does put off some folks, so they don't do it.

    Privacy issues are valid points for not wanting to sign up and have information accessible to everyone, but there are ways around that. I suppose, with enough time and effort, someone could figure out who I really am, as well as the names of my children and spouse, but I'm not going to intentionally make it easy for anyone to do that. It isn't so much me that I'm worried about, rather it's my family. I will protect them as much as humanly possible.

    Hm, what if someone figured out how to put up a database, where all you had to do is fill out a simple profile with whatever information you wanted made public, and it would always come up wherever you post...

    On second thought, let's NOT do that...While some people may want more governmental control over everything online, but quite frankly, I think the government has enough to do without stinking their fingers in THIS pie as well.

    Ok, that was rambling, but I got distracted a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Karen,

    Thanks for that great comment. See you gave me much to think about. I never looked at things completely as you pointed out.

    But, I do like the item that with your comment, people can hit your name and while they cannot know who you are, they will at least know something about you and how you think within your blogs, and have the wonderful opportunity to read some of your exceptional writes.

    I guess I did not put it well, and that is fine, as it is a learning process, and comments is a great way to help me realize things.

    I guess I should have said it more simplly. LOL. It frustrates me when people respond to blogs and for example (ms.karen said) is all you get and they do not have the opportunity to read more about the person, or what they write on, as there is no link that will contact.

    For the record ms. karen, to me it does not matter who you are or who your children are, as to me that is not important. What is important to me is that I enjoy and know you pretty much as a person just by what you write, which reflects so much about you. I really enjoy your posts.

    Thank you again for your comment.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the most frustrating is when people post anonymously. It doesn't matter too much to me whether or not the comment is positive or negative but it would be nice to visit the other person or be able to feel like you can have some sort of dialogue with them.

    However, as Ms. Karen pointed out there is the issue of privacy. There is also the consideration that some site owners are crazy which gives the commenter a legitimate reason to be concerned about themselves or their business.

    Also I agree that the internet should remain as government free as possible.

    {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I don't know if you're keeping up with the Thorny One's blog, but she has said on a number of occasions that she doesn't allow anonymous comments (which we both know is bull), but personally I wouldn't want her to know my real name or anything like that. It's bad enough she 'knows who I am' LOL. People like her make the internet a dangerous place.

    She has also posted about wanting more government control over the internet and our children, as you know. Like I said, people like her are scary.

    Ug, now I'm rambling. I need to get some sleep!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Indigo, thanks for your post, and I agree.

    Morrigan, yes I have, and actually hers is an example of what I am talking about. One is able to click her name and her blog will come up, but her responders names will not come up for some reason. I guess it could be that they do not have blogs, but I doubt that is the case. I know I have a blog and she did post a comment of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:59 AM

    I think sometimes people like to think they are annonymous because they may not want others to visit their blog. What I find interesting/disturbing are the site meters that everyone has. I don't know how many people know that they exist but they can tell you where they've been, how long they vivited, where they went to. No one is really annonymous anymore.

    ReplyDelete